Pastor Pieper and I attended the 64th Biennial convention of WELS which was held in Watertown WI this year along with 400 other Pastors, called workers and lay leaders’ representatives.
I’ve been asked to summarize the 3 days of meetings crammed into. I’ll try to hit the high points which most affect us here in our churches.
- Financially, WELS is on solid ground having retired their long term debt 1 ½ years early thanks too many generous gifts. Although Congregation Mission Offerings continue to decline. Partly because of membership decline in North America and churches not being able to full fulfill their obligation such as us here at Green Valley. I encourage everyone to consider what they are giving in their weekly offering so that we may make up our deficit to CMO (Congregational Mission Offerings). CMO is the money the church uses to fund day to day operations.
- World Mission continues to grow adding 5 new countries for which we are in fellowship to bring the total to 31 different countries. Some of the new ones include: Lutheran church of Ethiopia, South Asia Lutheran Evangelical Mission – Hong Kong and East Asia Lutheran Synod
- Home Mission – South West Las Vegas is still being considered as the next new mission in the Las Vegas valley.
Shepherd of the Hills has broken ground this year for their worship center in the Northwest.
- In celebration our 500 anniversary “Return to Grace,” a history of Martin Luther, will air on PBS. A local showing will be at the Orleans Theater October 26th 6:30 pm.
- Our new service Hymnal which will replace the red ones we use now will available in 2021 both in a print version as we have now and an electronic version for use in preparing the weekly service folder.
- Lutheran Military Support Group was founded and is run by both WESL and ELS to support veterans and active service members of all branches of service. They are asking congregations on Veteran Day to “Pass the Ammo Box” for a door offering to help fund this program.
- Both preaching and teaching called workers will continue to be in short supply although the new classes coming are showing increased enrollment. Retirement may outpace the gains.
- Northwest Publishing - consider them for all your Christian book needs. They are one of the few Christian Publishing houses owned by a Church body.
- Last, I want to say it was a privilege to represent both Green Valley and the Arizona – California district this year as one of the lay delegates.